Write cherries on your grocery list and follow these tips while pickin' cherries:
- Buy fresh May through August and frozen or dried the rest of the year for highest quality.
- They don't get sweeter or ripen any more after being picked, so waiting to eat them is not better.
- Choose with stems attached (they last longer).
- Select those with firm glossy skins, free of blemishes.
- They can be unrefrigerated for 2 days. Refrigeration can extend shelf life from 3 days to a week.
- For easy pitting, get a cherry stoner.