I shared a few pictures of Ashyr's first birthday yesterday including the cake. It was not the most beautiful cake in the whole world, but I was pretty satisfied with how it turned out. This is mostly because of the filling I attempted for the first time. I was pretty nervous about using a filling since I've never tried it and then planning to serve it at his party felt a little risky. But it was so easy and so yummy that I wanted to share.
Strawberry Cake Filling
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen straberries
1/3 c sugar
3 T cornstarch
1. Obviously you need to bake your two layers of cake!
2. Chop up your frozen strawberries.
3. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until it boils and thickens. Cool completely.
4. While strawberries are cooling, frost the top of your bottom layer. Doesn't have to be perfect since it will be covered with the filling. Make sure it's thick enough so that the strawberry filling will not seep into the cake.
5. The key to preventing your filling from seeping down over the edge of the cake is to build a dam of frosting all the way around the first layer. I used a ziplock back to pipe the frosting and it worked like a charm.
6. Fill 'er up with your strawberry goodness!
7. Frost the bottom of your top layer and squish it onto the bottom layer. Then frost all over.
Everyone was uber impressed with it, my brother even asked if I bought the cake. He's so sweet. Clearly it is so easy therefore I don't think I will ever settle for a two layer cake without filling again. It looks so much more appetizing, don't ya think? And how does it taste? Delicious!
Linked up at Craft-0-Maniac, Delicate Construction, For Love of Cupcakes, The Gunny Sack, CRAFT, Pinkapotamus, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Lines Across My Face, Home Sweet Home, Making the World Cuter, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Homework, Mommy by Day Crafter by Night.